Five Reasons I'm Disapointed with the Wii U

For Christmas, I was lucky enough to have a Wii U gifted to me and my brother. At the time we got it, we were both extremely excited, knowing all about the thing. We just happened to get the deluxe edition which was even better! However, it didn't exactly live up to expectations. Don't get me wrong, I love the HD graphics, the style of playing, and all sorts of other things, but there are 5 things that really made me not like the system.
  • Loading Times
    • You wouldn't believe how long some of the things on the system load for. No, the loading times aren't unreasonable, but they are longer than they should be. It seems like it takes longer for the Wii U games to load than it does for the Wii games, or even 3DS games to load. And when you want to post to Miiverse, it takes a good 30 seconds to fully open up the program and load everything on the page. Perhaps some of this is due to my not so great internet connection, but it's still longer than it should be.
  • Wii to Wii U transfer tool
    • Another bad move by Nintendo, the transfer tool. The first problem is if you choose to transfer, everything is going over. You can't control what does and doesn't, it's an all or nothing deal unlike the 3DS. If you wanted to keep certain software on your DSi, you were able to do that, but on the Wii to Wii U transfer, it's the exact opposite. What's even worse is how to transfer it. You need two TVs, or you need to keep setting up and taking down the two consoles to read all of the directions in the weird tool. It's really hard to explain, but once you get the system, or see it for yourself, you'll understand. 
    • One other problem is that a lot of my data didn't transfer for an unknown reason. For example, we put Super Smash Bros. Brawl into our console afterwards, and went to play it, but none of our achievements or unlockables were still around. So we had to go and unlock all the characters, stages, songs, trophies, and all that all over again. Strangely enough, our custom stages, snapshots, and replays were all saved. Probably because these were all on the SD card, but that's all we had.
  • Wii and Wii U seperated in Console
    • The title says it all. Inside of the Wii U is the Wii system, but not in a good way. On the 3DS, there is only one menu, and DSiWare and 3DS Downloads, DS games, and all of that can be played directly from the menu that is first shown when you power the system on, but on the Wii U, if you want to go play a Wii game, WiiWare, or Virtual Console title, you will have to go open up the Wii Menu (which is the exact same Menu seen on the Wii), and play it from there. Now for some, this is nice, but in my personal opinion, it's stupid and makes Nintendo look pretty darn lazy for not putting it all together. I like being able to open up my software from the first page, but no, if you want to play anything on the Wii, you have to go to the Wii Menu and do it from there.
  • Can't play Wii games on the Wii U GamePad
    •  The thing that made the Wii U such a great concept was how it could play games on the GamePad without the use for a TV. I have a reasonably large family, and it is hard to find time to play games I want to play when I want to play them, so I loved the idea that Nintendo introduced. Sadly, you aren't able to play Wii games on the Wii U GamePad. As a matter of fact, the Wii U GamePad is powered down (unless you want to change the TV channel or something like that) while you are playing Wii games. I understand that would take a lot of work, but it would be so much fun to play Smash Bros, or race Mario Kart Wii, or play any other game while someone else is using the TV. I mean, come on Nintendo, if you can make New Super Mario Bros. U work, I'm sure you could make a simple fix to playing Wii games on the Wii.
  • It's hard to stop playing
    • I couldn't bring myself to make a post that was completely negative about Nintendo, so I decided to have my final point be about how much fun it is. Despite what you saw at E3, Nintendo land is actually a pretty fun game, especially if you're playing with friends or family. You'll be playing those games for a long time but it feels so short because you're just having so much fun. That's why I love Nintendo, because even when they make something as weird and poorly constructed as a Wii U (you know I'm joking!), they still find a way to make it fun. The mini games are easy at first, but as you get farther, you'll find that they are somewhat challenging (especially if you want to master them). See, even as bad as this system is, there's still so much fun in it, it's hard to stop playing, and 2 or 3 hours will have passed in what feels like 20 minutes. Plus, it'll empty your wallet pretty darn fast
So there you have it. Five reasons I'm disappointed with the Wii U. I'd love to hear what you guys think of the system, tell me in the comments, and as always, have a nice day!

7 comments:

I also got a WiiU for Christmas(Basic set) and I can't exactly say I've had these problems. The loading times, while the Wii was faster, are hardly something I'd complain about. They MIGHT, MIGHT be 10-15 seconds long at max. Is that really bad?

No it's not that bad, I just find it strange that it got worse from the Wii to the Wii U. Or in my case at least. I've seen a few other problems with the system, so it's possible that it's just mine.

I can agree with the transfer tool, I didn't want it to transfer my save files, and so I was left without my Monster hunter tri saves on my old Wii.....
I'm sure Nintendo might make updates in future to improve loading speeds, other than that I'm not really bothered by the loading speed.
Miiverse is an awesome feature!

5 Reasons why I love Wii U :)

1. MiiVerse - Nintendo were a little (okay, a lot) slow to the social and online gaming side of things (ironically, they have pushed for online connectivity on nearly every console, including the Famicom!). I think they nailed it with MiiVerse though. It's a fun place to share pictures, updates and hints and I think they've only just scratched the surface with it.

2. Virtual Console - Okay, so I know that it's not here yet and that it's nothing new because I've been able to play all these titles on Wii for the past few years, but no other console manufacturer can offer such an amazing array of titles from the past 30 years that people would want to still buy in 2013. Playing it on the GamePad will be amazing, too!

3. The Gamepad - I know there are not many games that have utilised the full potential of the Gamepad yet, but that's because we've not had a 3D Mario, Zelda or Smash Bros. yet. Nintendo will have built this console for a reason and when their first party smash hits start coming out, they will show the gaming world and other developers just what can be done with it just as they have with every other console.

4. Future Releases - In this console generation, just like every other one before it, Wii U will have something no other consoles will... First-party Nintendo games. This seems like a cop-out and what Nintendo fans preach every generation, but it's true! I know that it's not going to be as powerful as PS4 or the next XBox, but who cares?! I'd take Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword over any PS3/360 games.

5. It's Nintendo - I even bought a Virtual Boy! Slap on a Ninty logo, say Shiggy Miyamoto's involved or plaster Mario's face on something and I'll buy it ;)

Nintendo Sushi - Nintendo news, reviews, videos and podcast!

The load times were the one thing that KILLED me! So friggin long!

Hey!

I love your blog and noticed you were a fellow gamer that
loved indie gaming as well! I just wanted let you know there's a new
gaming website up called 8BitGamer.com covering
retro, indie, and modern games!

We also feature a weekly gaming webcomic! Gaming Webcomic

We'd love you to but if you don't want to guest write for us at least add us on Facebook:

8BitGamer Facebook

Or join our forum!

8BitGamer Forum

Post a Comment

Rules for Commenting:
- Please stay on topic; NO SPAM
- Respect other's opinions/ideas
- Do not advertise
- No hate/racist/sexual/or other hurtful language